Barnyard Organics is pleased to be able to offer custom soybean roasting for organic farmers in a dedicated organic and non-GMO facility. Soybean roasting service is available year-round, with the busiest season taking place after harvest in October/November.
Soybeans, although an excellent source of protein, contain an enzyme which acts as an inhibitor, preventing some of the protein from being released when consumed. Roasting is the process which removes the enzyme, allowing the cow, for example, to retain all the nutrients from the bean. Roasting soybeans is a necessary process for feed for cattle, sheep, pigs and many other animals that consume them as a part of their diet ensuring the highest quality and highest nutrient availability of the bean. The roaster at Barnyard Organics is one of the only facilities on the Island that includes the step of steeping which allows the beans to continue to cook in their own heat after leaving the roaster, ensuring a more thoroughly roasted product, without being burnt or overdone.
Barnyard Organics’ facility includes:
- Roaster (where the soybeans get roasted in batches of 1500kgs/hr to a temperature of 290-310 ºF.
- Stainless steel steeping chamber (here, the extremely hot soybeans continue the roasting process for approximately 20 minutes as they cool down)
- an optional flaking unit (if desired, the whole, hard, round beans can be broken down into a more manageable and digestible flaked form.
Soybeans to be roasted at Barnyard Organics follow a dedicated process. Once the beans arrive on the farm they are:
- Immediately issued a lot number (to ensure full traceability of the product as the beans are run through the roasting process);
- Sampled for:
- moisture (to ensure optimum roasting time for best quality)
- bushel weight
- dockage from weed seeds
- GMO contamination (this litmus test ensures organic integrity.
These sample tests are valuable for Barnyard Organics (as professional roasters), but also for customers to know how they may be able to refine their systems even further to obtain the optimum product.
We are able to handle orders from semitrailers right down to one tonne tote bags. Please contact us as early as possible regarding your order for soybeans or custom roasting.